Last updated July 2022
This policy describes the kinds of information we may collect from you or that you may provide to us when you visit our website and our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting and disclosing that information.
This policy applies when we are in control of how data is collected, stored, and processed, including information we collect on our website, or in email or other electronic messages between you and our website.
Our website incorporates privacy controls affecting how we process your personal data. You can opt-out of our email newsletter, request your personal information, request to update and change your personal information, or request to delete your personal information. If you wish to opt out of our email newsletter, you can click the unsubscribe link at the bottom of every email we send.
We are responsible for protecting any personal data shared and we are committed to upholding the tenants of this responsibility.
We do not share your personal data with anyone outside of the Dharma Ocean Organization.
Collection and Use of Data
We collect several types of information about you. If you take a residential or online course with us that requires payment, we will have information that:
- Identifies you personally, such as name, postal address, e-mail address, and telephone number.
If you’re a member of our mailing list, we will have less information about you that may or may not include:
- Opens or clicks within email newsletters
- Your internet connection, the equipment you use to access our website, and how you use our website
Mailing List, Course Signup, and Contact Forms
When you fill out a contact form or an application, you voluntarily provide us your name, contact information, and other information. We will process this information according to the instructions you provide.
When you make a purchase through our website for a retreat or online program you voluntarily provide us your name, email address, postal address(es), and credit card information.
We collect this information via SalesForce. This information is used to supply you with the product purchased and keep accurate records of your transaction.
When you sign up to receive a free audio track or for our email newsletter list, you voluntarily provide us your name and email address. We will process this information per your request to provide you the relevant information and newsletters.
Additionally, when you interact with our emails, Mailchimp will track which emails you open and any links you click. From time to time, these clicks will be tracked to identify what programs and courses are most relevant to you.
When you create an account on our website, you voluntarily provide us your name and email address. We collect this information in order to deliver you the products you requested.
Purpose for which we process Personal Data
We collect and process Personal Data for a variety of purposes, including:
- to provide our websites and social media branded pages;
- to display personalized offers and content;
- to manage event registrations and attendance (including ensuring the health and safety of our visitors and employees);
- to send communications;
- to handle contact and user support requests;
- to provide, improve and optimize the performance of our services;
- to bill for our services and manage our accounts (including usage and licensing compliance);
- to maintain the security of Dharma Ocean and its services; and
- to comply with our legal obligations.
We only collect and process your Personal Data to the extent it is necessary for fulfilling these purposes.
As you navigate through and interact with our website, we may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about you including:
- How you interact with our website, including what pages you visited, when you last logged into your account, and if you open or click on our email newsletters
- Information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, location, operating system and browser type
We collect this information via Google Analytics and Mailchimp using cookies, and web beacons. And this information helps us to improve our website and to deliver a better and more personalized service, including by enabling us to:
- Estimate our audience size
- Understand how our audience uses our website
- Recognize you when you return to our website
The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include:
- Web beacons. Pages of our the website and our emails may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit us to count users who have visited pages, opened an email, and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain website content and verifying system and server integrity).
Most browsers allow you to refuse to accept cookies and to delete cookies. The methods for doing so vary from browser to browser, and from version to version.
The Usage Information we collect is used to monitor and improve our website and services.
For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
We will only retain your information for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements. To determine the appropriate retention period for your information, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the information, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your information, the purposes for which we process your information and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
In some circumstances, we may anonymize information about you (so that it can no longer be associated with you) for research or statistical purposes in which case we may use and retain this information indefinitely without further notice to you.
Your rights relating to your Personal Data
In some circumstances you can ask us to delete your data: see below for more information.
You have certain rights relating to your Personal Data, subject to local data protection laws. Depending on the applicable laws, these rights may include the right to:
- Access your Personal Data held by us;
- Know more about how we process your Personal Data;
- Rectify inaccurate Personal Data and, taking into account the purpose of processing the Personal Data, ensure it is complete;
- Erase or delete your Personal Data;
- Restrict our processing of your Personal Data;
- Transfer your Personal Data to another controller, to the extent possible;
- Object to any processing of your Personal Data;
- Opt out of certain disclosures of your Personal Data to third parties;
- If you’re under the age of 16, or such other applicable age of consent for privacy purposes in relevant individual jurisdictions, opt in to certain disclosures of your Personal Data to third parties;
- Not be discriminated against for exercising your rights described above;
- Not be subject to a decision based solely on automated processing, including profiling, which produces legal effects; and
- Withdraw your consent at any time (to the extent we base processing on consent).
Children under the age of 16
Our website is not intended for children under 16 years of age. No one under age 16 may provide any information to our website. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 16.
If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 16, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 16, please contact us.
EU Privacy Rights
The EU General Data Protection Regulation permits users of our website that are European Union residents certain rights. Your rights include: the right to access; the right to rectification; the right to erasure; the right to restrict processing; the right to object to processing; the right to data portability; the right to complain to a supervisory authority; and the right to withdraw consent
If you believe that our processing of your personal information infringes data protection laws, you have a legal right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority responsible for data protection. You may do so in the EU member state of your habitual residence, your place of work or the place of the alleged infringement.
We may update this policy from time to time by updating the version on this page. You should check this page occasionally to identify any updates. The last update date appears at the top of this page.
We have implemented measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure both during transfer and storage.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. You are responsible for keeping your password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
We may disclose aggregated information about our website visitors (information that is not identifiable to you) without restriction.
We do not sell, rent, or share our email list containing your personal information to third parties.
However, we may disclose information that can be directly tied to you to:
- Fulfill the purpose for which you provide it
- Fulfill any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information
- Process your payment, including refunds, complaints
We may also disclose your personal information:
- To comply with any court order, law or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request
- To enforce or apply any agreements between us, including for billing and collection purposes
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of us, our customers or others. For example, exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
This website is owned and operated by the Dharma Ocean Foundation, 2525 Arapahoe Ave, E4-828 Boulder, CO 80302. [email protected].
We may process any personal information we have on you when required by a court order, legal obligation, court proceeding.